Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Reasons I don't play tons of tourneys

The tilt factor is definitely one of the main reasons I don't play tons of tourneys. Since I can not manage tilt well, I prefer not to play if I'm not in a good mood.

Hard to continue playing (at least for me) when your days start like this:

PokerStars $100+$9 (Rebuys)
Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2006/05/31 - 14:31:06 (ET)
Table '25455500 6' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: xhalvisx (1050 in chips)
Seat 2: Simon Sun (2840 in chips)
Seat 3: mickey2 (2590 in chips)
Seat 4: #1PEN (2930 in chips)
Seat 5: sirio11 (2870 in chips)
Seat 6: mohamar (1600 in chips)
Seat 7: actnjksn1 (1590 in chips)
Seat 8: monster555 (3330 in chips)
Seat 9: Pet Monster (3700 in chips)
mickey2: posts small blind 15
#1PEN: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sirio11 [Th Tc]
sirio11: raises 60 to 90
Pet Monster: calls 90
mickey2: calls 75
*** FLOP *** [4h 6d 6c]
mickey2: checks
sirio11: bets 180
Pet Monster: calls 180
mickey2: folds
*** TURN *** [4h 6d 6c] [7s]
sirio11: checks
Pet Monster: bets 350
sirio11: raises 2250 to 2600 and is all-in
Pet Monster: calls 2250
*** RIVER *** [4h 6d 6c 7s] [9c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
sirio11: shows [Th Tc] (two pair, Tens and Sixes)
Pet Monster: shows [9h 9d] (a full house, Nines full of Sixes)
Pet Monster collected 5860 from pot


I love the way I played the hand, but still lost the 96% favorite. Even we were in the 1st hour, I decided not to rebuy because of the tilt factor, and usually after starting the day like this, I find pretty hard to play more. I know it's silly to get mad and I know I don't follow my own advise about just concentrating in the things you can control. But oh well, to my defense I'll cite Walt Whitman:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)


Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"
US poet (1819 - 1892)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The conventional wisdom is that tilt is much more dangerous in cash games. Do you disagree?

Anonymous said...

Sirio,
Bro, are you superstitious? if you are not, maybe you should be. you are running so bad right now, its time to make some changes. Play from another room, or another computer. change your screen names (this really helps me). anyways good luck. Ariba!

David (sirio11) said...

AJ: Some rebuy tournaments are pretty good investments, like the daily $30R in Paradise.

Burningyen: I pretty much agree, especially live cash games vs live tournaments. The thing is in cash games you usually play the VERY NEXT hand after a terrible beat, while in tournaments you can't since you're usually out.

Tito: I don't, but you're right, maybe I should do some changes.

David (sirio11) said...

I'm pretty sure things will turn from both of us Brian. Hopefully the next time we chop a really big one !!!

Anonymous said...

Hola, soy un jugador amateur, pero me esfuerso en mejorar mi juego. No cabe duda que esta mano fue un bad beat, pero no creo que estuviera muy bien jugada (como dije, soy amateur, y quizas no tenga la suficiente experiencia), obviamente es una buena mano, y se debe de jugar agresiva, pero me parece que el all-in que hiciste fue algo exesivo, sobre todo por lo vulnerable de tu mano. El poker en parte depende de la suerte, y en un torneo con re-buys y en las primeras etapas los jugadores buscan hacer un double up, ahora tu mano era la gran favorita, pero creo que tambien te hubiera podido llamar, un AK o AQ, en las cartas comunitarias no habia razon para foldear a un 99, no creo que estuviera mal llamado por parte de el 99, quizas hubiera funcionado mas el all-in con alguna cara en las comunitarias, asi el 99 tuviera mas opcion de foldear las cartas, pero con ese flop y ese turn no habia razon de tirarlas, apenas que hubieras demostrado ser un jugador muy conservador, pero por el nivel que llevava el torneo no creo que hubieras tiempo de demostrar nada.
La unica pregunta que me queda es, en que mano habias puesto al adversario?
saludos :D

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»