Thursday, May 18, 2006

Slowly coming back

I'm yet to have a great result, but I have had some regular ones. This Sunday I made it deep in the Full Tilt $200K and in the Stars $1 Million; I won $380 in the Full Tilt and $1400 in the Stars. Later I almost made the final table in the Stars $100 Rebuys, got 11th for another $1146. Tuesday I made the Final Table in the $30 Rebuys at Paradise, got 6th out of 1225 and won $3914.68. Yesterday I made the final table in the Stars $150, got 4th out of 482, good for $5061. I have made some adjustments, but mostly I'm coming back to winning my 80/20, 80% of the time, to win 50% of the time my coin flips. I know things will get better.
I still have some trouble playing marginal hands in a final table. My last hand in the Stars $150 was A6, again the dreaded Ax. We were playing 4 handed, I was the short stack with about 92k, but with 4-8k blinds, I was not desperate, UTG folded and I was in the button with A6, what to do, any raise will commit a lot of my stack, and if they reraise, I'll be committed to call; if they just call the raise and stop and go me in the flop, what am I going to do?. Should I fold A6 in the button 4 handed?, no way, so I decided push was the best course of action, BB called with 77 and that was it. Really, I just don't know how to play this hand with the conditions described. If any of you find a better way to play it, please post your opinion, I'd appreciated it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think pushing is fine, just hit your ace next time.

Carl

AJ "The Triple Threat" Martino said...

Sirio, I likely would have made the same play. You get those blinds most of the time, you know that.

Sometimes you'll get called by a K/Q or K/J or K/10 sooted or something, and you'll be 60/40'ing it.

Not much else you can do there unfortunately, you don't have much room to manuever. Pushing is best because it puts all the pressure on them to call all those chips. They can't push you out of the hand, they need a hand that is decent enough to play.

It's unfortunate to run into pocket 7's there, but I think you played it fine. Congrats on your being back on track with the wins, hope it continues for you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go break something for that donkey check-calling a bet that was followed by a check-raise cold with 2/3/5/K on a Q/10/3 board and then making a weak two pair to bust my A/A/J/K, grrrrr!

Anonymous said...

David you did not mention anything on the "plan" for building a bankroll for the wsop.????

What games do you plan on playing , for how long, cash games or tourneys, si n go's??

Anonymous said...

weak aces are overrated - fold them

Brian Aliotta said...

I think any good STT player would tell you that pushing A6 on the button with your stack is a standard play.

Depending on the players and their stack sizes I would very rarely not shove there. Obviously hoping to not get called.

IMO, unless the BB had 2-3xs your stack, his call with 77 is a little loose.

BPA

AJ "The Triple Threat" Martino said...

BRIAN WROTE: IMO, unless the BB had 2-3xs your stack, his call with 77 is a little loose.

MY REPLY: I'd insta-call in the BB's spot there most of the time, since Sirio is on the button, classic steal position, and could be pushing a wide range of hands that I'm likely ahead of.

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»