Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Calling AI preflop with AQ in the WSOP $1500 NL

On this hand I had between 90k and 100k, blinds were 1500-3000, don't remember the ante. A young player with a big stack (around 180k) was moved to my right just a while ago, and as soon as he sat down he tried to control the table with his stack. On my first hand with him, folded to him in the SB, he raises, and I went AI without hesitation in the BB, with AK or a medium pair, don't remember, he folded. There were about 120 players left I think (out of the original 2778), when the hand came up, he was in the CO and made a weird raise to 7600, I had AQ on the button, and was pondering if I called or raised, I decide to go for the raise and make it 22,500; folded to him, and he starts counting his chips, staring at me, I thought he was folding but after a while he declared all in, I think that was his mistake, to take that much time to go all in, if I called I have to call AI of course since he covered me, and I'm never happy to call all ins with AQ, if I folded I still had around 70k, which it was decent, but this time 2 things didn't add up, his raise preflop (for his type of player) and the time he took to go all in, those 2 things told me (or made me think) that he didn't have a big hand, no AA-JJ, not even AK, the better hand he could have for me was a medium pair, but it was possible he was bluffing at all, given his type, the young internet aggressive players of nowadays. I studied him for a while and decided to went with my read and called, he said good call and he flipped QJo, perfect for me to have him in a dominated position, but of course I still had to dodge the board, no bad beat this time and I went to 200k and to be one of the chip leaders at the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck