Sunday, December 11, 2005

The day before

Tomorrow I will be playing my most expensive tournament ever. The 15,300 Main Event at the Bellagio. They are expecting about 500 entrants, and that means first prize could be easily more than 2 million dollars. It was funny to walk to the cashier and register for the tournament with 6 chips, 3 white 5k ones and 3 black $100 ones; the annual salary for so many people; and here I am spending (investing) it for the right to play one poker tournament. The relativism in the value of money; but to be honest that is one of the things I love about being a poker player; the fact that, ironically, money is after all not that big of a deal. Well, I promise in a future entry in my blog to expand my thoughts in this concept.

The plan for today is simple, I'll stay inside my hotel room with basically 2 things to do. Study some general concepts for the tournament, especially some situations that I think I'm misplaying. I also have to input the final grades of my students at UTEP; this week probably will be the end to my career as a professor and the beginning of a full time career as a poker player. I have no regrets at all, this is what I am, this is what I want to do, and my family is 100% behind me.

My family is here, my beautiful wife and my 2 sons, they travelled to be here in Vegas all this week, I really missed them the last week and a half and I'm really happy they are here now.

So, all I have to do now is to play perfect, focus, and try to make the most of my share of luck in this tournament.

Play perfect every hand, enjoy the ride. Life is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mucha Suerte, y si, ese torneo es mas de lo que gano en UTEP de TA.
Que la fuerza te acompañe y que se aparezca Santa Claus con dos millones, jajajaja.
Suerte.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Hey David:
Mucha suerte en tu proxima carrera como profesional. Todos los chavos que jugamos poker en UTEP vamos a seguir tu carrera.